Here are some ideas to help you incorporate learning into the upcoming holiday season, courtesy of Weekend Wonderings:
- Do you want to make peace with your relatives during the holiday season? If so, this Wall Street Journal story offers some insights about calling a familial truce.
- Try something other than pumpkin pie as the culmination of your holiday feast! Here’s an easy cranberry and apple cake recipe that’s so tasty, courtesy of Ina Garten, aka The Barefoot Contessa.
- Al Reinert is a multipotentialite who turned what he learned during his journalism career into award-winning movies, including Apollo 13. He’s created a new documentary on John James Audubon that will air on PBS in 2016. Be sure to read this Houston Chronicle feature about the filmmaker.
- In recognition of Al Reinert as a continual learner (see the previous item) as well as the anniversary of President John F. Kennedy’s death on Nov. 22, this week’s movie recommendation is For All Mankind. Reinert made this award-winning documentary using NASA footage from space missions, including Apollo 11 (which was the first to send men to the moon, as famously called for by President Kennedy in 1961). This movie is available to stream on Hulu, iTunes and Amazon Video.
- A quote on learning: “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklin